Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The First Ride of 2011

I am already anticipating it.

I can see it now... the morning of January 11th I'll be excited to pump up my tires, put on my helmet and ride. By the time I hop on and go I'll not have been on my bicycle for over three weeks.

Last year my friends and I had a friendly competition of riding our bicycles 300 miles in the month of January. I'm going to try for it myself, personally, when I get back. 300 miles in three weeks? I think it's possible. If not, then I'll just shoot for the next 30 days.

Also, I'm really looking forward to taking part in my birthday ride. Basically, the morning of my birthday I go for a ride on a favorite route somewhere in the Valley. Whether it's a 25-mile loop to Woodland Hills, Winnetka, Northridge, Van Nuys and back, a hilly 10-mile ride to the Santa Monica Mountains at the Marvin Braude Mulholland Gateway Park (down Reseda Blvd), or a sprint along the Orange Line bikeway - from Encino to Woodland Hills, to NOHO and back - it's a ride that I've done before and therefore a ride I love. I always make sure to give myself this present every year. I am so looking forward to it.

Are there any special or meaningful rides planned for you this year so far? All right, I won't be too hasty - let's start with the first quarter, at least. ;)

Happy new year, indeed.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I are planning a trip to San Jose this May to support our nieces in Girls on the Run. While we're there we are looking forward to taking them on a long ride (who knows how long that means in kid-distance) with some stops for food and drink. I don't know the route yet but I'll do some research to map out in advance. After we leave them we plan to do some biking in the wine country - again, haven't figured out exactly where but we're looking forward to the new biking experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that sounds absolutely heavenly. My friends are moving to San Jose at the end of this month; I hope to visit them in the spring or summer months (and subsequently see what the biking climate is like). You'll have to let me know how it goes through an update or otherwise. I hope that you'll take pictures! :)

    CicLAvia in April and the Los Angeles River Ride in June are on my plate so far. I've done them both before but the turn out has been great and it's always fun re-living such positive experiences. New adventures are great, though, and I hope to do something like your upcoming trip in the near future. I have no doubt that you and yours will have an unforgettable time!

    ReplyDelete